The groups and schedule of the men’s basketball competition of the 2012 London Olympics has been settled after the draw done following the conclusion of the 2012 FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament for Men.
Russia, Lithuania, and Nigeria successfully clinched berth to the 2012 London Games after finishing as the top three teams in the recently concluded Men’s Olympic Qualifiers in Caracas, Venezuela.
Russia, who swept their assignments in Venezuela, was drawn in Group B in which they will be competing against host Great Britain, Spain, Australia, Brazil, and China.
On the other hand, Lithuania was drawn in Group B along with Nigeria, who pulled off huge upsets in the qualifying tournament, defeating the Lithuanians in group play and Greece in the quarterfinals.
Lithuania and Nigeria will be tipped against powerhouse and defending Olympic champions USA, France, Argentina, and Tunisia in the preliminary round of the men’s basketball tournament of the 2012 Olympics.
The men’s basketball tournament will run from July 28 to July 12 on alternate-day basis with women’s competition, which was also all set after the groups and schedule were finalized last week.
Both men and women’s competition will have the same format, which will be a single-round robin in each group. The top four teams in each group will advance to the quarterfinals that will follow the standard knockout format.
2012 London Olympics Men’s Basketball Groups
- Great Britain
2012 London Olympics Men’s Basketball Schedule
July 29, 2012
- Nigeria vs Tunisia – 9:00
- Brazil vs Australia – 11:15
- USA vs France – 14:30
- Spain vs China – 16:45
- Russia vs Great Britain – 20:00
- Argentina vs Lithuania – 22:15
July 31, 2012
- China vs Russia – 9:00
- Australia vs Spain – 11:15
- Lithuania vs Nigeria – 14:30
- Great Britain vs Brazil – 16:45
- France vs Argentina 20:00
- Tunisia vs USA – 22:15
August 2, 2012
- France vs Lithuania – 9:00
- Australia vs China – 11:15
- Argentina vs Tunisia – 14:30
- Brazil vs Russia – 16:45
- Spain vs Great Britain – 20:00
- USA vs Nigeria – 22:15
August 4, 2012
- Tunisia vs France – 9:00
- Russia vs Spain – 11:15
- Lithuania vs USA – 14:30
- China vs Brazil – 16:45
- Great Britain vs Australia – 20:00
- Nigeria vs Argentina – 22:15
August 6, 2012
- Australia vs Russia – 9:00
- Tunisia vs Lithuania – 11:15
- France vs Nigeria -14:30
- Great Britain vs China – 16:45
- Spain vs Brazil – 20:00
- Argentina vs USA - 22:15